Sunday, August 10, 2008

Thank God

Ottumwa, IA
I just realized that I went through the majority of Iowa yesterday....I guess it kinda blended with Nebraska....maybe a little flatter....I can't remember anything too memorable. Well, maybe except the slight hiccup I experienced with getting a hotel room last night. I made my way through Des Moines (take note, if ever trying to travel on the back roads around Des Moines, just get on the interstate, get through Des Moine and then get on a back road)...I think it took me about 45 minutes to wind around Des Moine to only put me out on a road that would have been 5 minutes from where I passed up the Interstate...oh well, live and learn.
As I was saying, after I made my way around Des Moine I decided to look for a place to lay my head for the night. I traveled east on Hwy 163 through Prairie City, on through Monroe and found a Super 8 off the highway in Pella. They only had one room available and it was a smoking room for $100. I've managed to lodge pretty cheap and am not desparate enough to pay for the smell of smoke. So I decided to pass, it was at this decision the hotel clerk informed me I wouldn't find another room for at least 50 miles. She went on to explain, "this is the busiest time of the year...the Sprint Car Nationals are happening in Knoxville, IA (13 miles west) and the State Fair is happening in Des Moines (45 miles west)". She called ahead to the next town, Oskaloosa and they were all booked too, she said my best bet would be the town of Ottumwa about 45 more miles up the road. I figured I could manage that. I arrived at the Super 8 (I choose these because of AAA and wireless internet capabilities), got out of my car and started walking up to the lobby door, when this lady started walking toward me from the parking lot and asked, "are you looking for a room?" "yes", I replied. "I'm sorry but every hotel in town is booked, we've got the Sprint Car Nationals (a.k.a Knoxville Nationals) happening in Knoxville, the State Fair in Des Moine and the Derby races in Eddyville (12 miles NE)". There wasn't much I could do but thank her for letting me know and turn back toward my car. Just as I was about to close the car door the lady said, "ma'am...is it just you?" "yes", I replied. "Well, we do have one room that is out of order, the hot tub is broken, it's a business suite...I will have to show it to you first and then you will need to sign a waiver saying you won't use the hot tub". "No problem, I don't need the hot tub". She showed me the room with its king size bed and sofa. She felt the need to continue emphasizing the fact that I am NOT to use the hot tub. And I continued to reassure her I had no interest in the hot tub. She would have to offer the $140/night room to me at a discount...."would $65.99 plus tax be okay with you?" she asked? "Absolutely!" Then I went on to profusely thank her!!

No comments: